THE CARMELITE NUNS CAME TO SAVANNAH IN 1958 FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF PRAYING FOR THE PRIESTS AND NEEDS OF THE MISSION DIOCESE OF SAVANNAH.
On the feast of our Holy Mother Teresa, October 15, 1957, the Most Rev. Thomas J. McDonough, Bishop of the Diocese of Savannah, invited nuns from the Carmel of Philadelphia to make a new foundation in his diocese for the explicit purpose of praying for "priests and in particular for a deepening of faith in the few and scattered faithful," expressing his firm belief and concern that efforts to evangelize the Diocese of Savannah would bear fruit only if supported by prayer.
On June 4, 1958, the nuns arrived from the Philadelphia Carmel. In 1965, nuns were invited from the Carmelite Monastery of Louisville, Kentucky to come and help with the new foundation.
As it happened, after the Vatican Council II, vocations in the church greatly diminished in our country, which led us to extend an invitation in 2005 to the English-speaking Carmels in Africa for some further help. As a result, in 2006 one Solemn Professed Nun responded to the invitation, followed by other young women.
Our monastery being dedicated to Our Lady of Confidence seems to have a special ongoing mission in the world today – to continue to believe and trust.
"The presence of the Carmelite Sisters in Savannah will be a spiritual boost to our priests and people, and the source and occasion for a stronger faith in all. There is so much to be done in this portion of the Vineyard, which work will fructify only if supported by prayer."
– BISHOP THOMAS J. MCDONOUGH
Seal of the Order
The banner surrounding the seal expresses the motto of our Order taken from the prophet Elijah, who cried out with his prophetic spirit and absolute dedication to the one, true God:
WITH ZEAL I HAVE BEEN ZEALOUS FOR THE LORD GOD OF HOSTS.
This zeal of the prophet Elijah embodies and animates our charism—a life lived totally for God, sharing in the self-emptying love of Jesus Christ